A T T I T U D E:
Your success, health, happiness, and wealth can be attributed to the choice of your attitude.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What is a Jicama


I found a lot about jicama's on the internet yesterday as I was searching the best way to peel one. For those of you who are wondering what the heck a jicama is I came across this great article explaining what it is and it's nutritional properties. Some things not mentioned in the article below was that they are also great eaten plain with a little lime juice, use in replacement for water- chestnuts, use in salads, and they are great in stir fry's.


So now you know how wonderful these little roots are, quick run get some for dinner! :)


SITE:

Jicama is a semi-sweet, root vegetable often found in Mexico. Often, it's used as a replacement for potato dishes. That makes sense because it looks a lot like white potatoes!

Why not potatoes though? Although they have some nutritional value—Vitamin C (if you eat the skin), some minerals and a tiny bit of protein, white potatoes are mostly starch. Moreover, the glycemic load for potatoes is 29 out of 250 and the inflammation factor is -179 out of 50. Although, these are just numbers, essentially- potatoes spike your blood sugar and increase inflammation in the body.

Compare that to jicama with a GL of 2 and inflammation factor of 1. This means jicama doesn’t spike your blood sugar and it’s actually mildly anti-inflammatory. Not to mention, it tastes great and has all the minerals that potatoes have!

Glycemic load has recently been recognized as a more accurate factor for determining blood sugar effects, more than glycemic index.So, it's a key factor to look at if you're trying to lose weight, treat/prevent diabetes, or get on a healthier track. Jicama makes for a great replacement for white potatoes...it gives you a similar taste, texture, and nutrient value without the starchy bonus.


3 comments:

  1. I hope it helps:) the first time I heard about a jicama my grandma Allen was eating one plain. I was in High School! But I'm just learning what a great and healthy food they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to make a note that I'm not against potatoes. I'm a firm believer that all food has it's place, they should just be eaten in moderation and a baked potato is perfectly fine now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I found your blog by chance and had intended only to say hello. I was, however, lured by your other post and stayed much longer than I planned. I really like what you are doing here and will be back often to see what you've been cooking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete