A T T I T U D E:
Your success, health, happiness, and wealth can be attributed to the choice of your attitude.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Applesauce Muffins with pureed carrots


This recipe was given to me by a friend and I think she got it out of Jessica Sienfeld's cookbook Deceptively Delicious. I LOVE these muffins and I think you will too!

Topping:

2/3 cup old fashioned oats

1/4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons butter melted

Batter:

1- 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup old fashioned oats

1tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup skim milk

1/2 cup carrot puree or butternut squash puree ( I have only used carrot)

1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar

1/4 cup canola oil

1 large egg

Preheat oven to 400 ( my oven cooks hot so I always do 350) coat muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.

In first bowl combing the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
In the second bowel, mix the applesauce, milk, vegetable puree, sugar, oil, and egg with a wooden spoon. Add the flour mixture slowly, stirring until just moistened. Do not overmix- the batter is supposed to be lumpy.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel topping. Bake 18-20 min or until the topping is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center to the muffins.

For the puree:
I make this and freeze it. I cook a 5 lb of carrots, peeled. Once they are cooked I put them in my food processor and puree. I add 1 cup to each freezer bag and thaw when I'm ready to use!

To make the topping, stir together the oats, sugar, and cinnamon. then add melted butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment